Letters to Pastors' Wives
by Catherine J. Stewart, General Editor
When Seminary Ends and Ministry Begins
Although their calling is joyous, pastors’ wives encounter special challenges because of the nature of their husbands’ work. These letters from the wives of experienced and well-known pastors provide empathy, wise counsel, and encouragement.
Look at the riches in this Table of Contents:
PART 1: The Piety of the Pastor’s Wife
1. Priorities: Putting First Things First
Catherine J. Stewart
2. Personal Devotions: The Heart before the Actions
3. Humility: The Only Way Up Is Down
4. Tongue and Thumb: Guarding the Ways
PART 2: Practical Counsel for Us All
5. Expectations: God-centered or Self-imposed
6. Hospitality: Fellowship or Entertainment?
7. Friendships over the Long Haul: Our Need for Female
Betty Jane Adams
8. Respecting My Husband: The Foundational Principles
9. Sharing My Husband: With Whomever and Whenever
10. Handling Criticism: Two Approaches
11. Conflict within the Church: Keeping Your Heart Pure
12. Ministry Moms: Perspectives from a PK
13. Depression: A Dark Valley
14. Loneliness and Bereavement: Common to All, Unique
Shannon Baugh Onnink
15. The Lord’s Day: A Hard Day’s Rest
“Sissy” Floyd Pipa
PART 3: Particular Circumstances
16. Habitual Sin in the Life of My Husband: Now What?
17. Ministering in a Different Culture: Aliens and Strangers
18. Campus Ministry: Life at the Crossroads
“At last, here is a much-needed guide for pastors’ wives penned by seasoned pastors’ wives! In preparing future pastors for ministry, my wife Mae and I have always sought to hold special teaching times for seminary wives in our home, to address many of the issues that these women of God handle so well in this new book. I believe this is now the standard text for seminary wives as well as those pastoral families — pastor and wife — who should set apart time to revisit the timeless themes. A few years ago, I wrote a song called ‘Thank God for the Pastor's Wife.’ After reading this book, I started singing it again! I commend this wonderful collection of thoughtful and biblical essays to the church with joy and confidence!”
-— Michael A. Milton, Chancellor, Reformed Theological Seminary
"Letters to Pastors' Wives is an exceptional book written by seventeen different pastor's wives and one pastor's daughter. The letters are personal, warm, convicting, and engaging. The wives' use of Scripture shows not only each wife's maturity but also her love for the Lord and for her husband. I highly recommend this book to all women and especially to pastors' wives!"
-- Martha Peace, Biblical Counselor and Author of The Excellent Wife
Catherine J. Stewart is a pastor's wife and a graduate of Queens University in Belfast, where she studied theology. Originally from Northern Ireland, she and her husband, Neil, now live in Savannah, Georgia, with their five children.
Add a comment and post it to your Facebook wall!
Page Count: 288
P & R Publishing